Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bad habits

I've decided that playing alone all the time--which is how I prefer it--leads me to perpetuate bad habits. I think I have at least these:



  1. My timing is erratic and I should be practicing with a metronome.


  2. My strumming seems to be based on getting the strum in the right place, rather than getting the right-sounding strum.


  3. I fret the low e-string with the pads of my fingers, rather than the tips.




I'm sure everybody gets bad habits, but I think my solitary style reinforces certain ones.

3 comments:

Patep said...

heh... my bass teacher just reamed me for not practicing w/ a metronome at my last lesson. but when I explained that I mostly play along w/ songs on the Pod, she wasn't as upset. nevertheless, it spurred me to figure out how to get the dang thing going on my effects pedal.

as for the pad on the low E string - as long as you're not gonna give yourself carpal tunnel, you'll probably be ok!

Patep said...

So, this week @ the bass lesson, we determined that my small hands are making me do all sorts of things wrong - including not using the tips of my fingers like you on your low E string. I'm gonna have to relearn everything but I'm wondering if I might have to just get a smaller bass. ugh.

Mike said...

Yeah, I'm starting to think that my overall posture is having consequences for hand position, some of which may need to be corrected.

For example, I seem to be able to reach further up to the low strings if I slump...but that has to be a bad idea.