Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Drop-D

I finished the Shipton book (minus a few pieces I didn't like).

I feel like I'm doing some backsliding though. Things don't seem to sound as good as they did a few weeks ago, especially strumming pieces. I suppose this is some sort of plateau that I just have to play through, but it's a bit daunting.

On the other hand, I'm learning a version of the Pachelbel Canon in what I believe is "drop-D" tuning.

If you're not a guitar person, the normal tuning of the six strings from low to high is: E A D G B E. Drop D tuning involves lowering that low E down to D. Thus: D A D G B E. I now have a "chromatic tuner", so this is actually pretty easy to do on the fly. It's amazing how this one little change makes such a difference in the sound of the instrument. That low D is sooooooo low!

2 comments:

AmyFou said...

Dang! I have a bunch of pieces that are supposed to be played in drop-D tuning, but I just skip those pages in my books because I am daunted.

That is, when I'm practicing. Which hasn't happened for the last couple weeks. Which is also terrible.

Dang.

Patep said...

Ya - drop D is fun. Though I never really ever did it either on the guitar. But then again, I never really learned anything more than strumming since my right hand is, well, my right hand & is therefore slightly uncontrollable. :-) I am having to tame it - or at least my right index finger - now that I'm playing the bass & that's pretty cool.

Anyways - yes, chromatic tuners are the way to go on this at the begininng or if you're playing electric. (going onto one of my new soap boxes now - beware!) However, since you're playing acoustic, you should take that opportunity to train your ears as well as your fingers! Try tuning the guitar on your own w/ a piano/computer/tuning fork for just the A string & go from there. Then, test yourself with the chromatic tuner to see how well you did. And keep at it - it takes time & practice!

And for the reason why - please go see my blog... I seem to be fairly typative this morning so I'm gonna share the next bit w/ everybody!