Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The broad expanse

The other day we went over to our friends AVF and JI's house to make sure that AVF wasn't sleeping in the carport. (Long story; see AVF's blog!)

I was immediately distracted by AVF's classical guitar. I've certainly messed around with them before, but I hadn't held one in quite a while.

I tuned it up and was immediately reminded of the differences: nylon strings, smaller body than my own dreadnaughts, wider fretboard. The last took some adjustment. I felt like I had to stretch even further for some chords.

What surprised me was the sense of liberation I had. I think I must be at a phase where I'm fighting not to run into strings I shoudn't. The wider fretboard made me feel so much more "on target".

And with such light and friendly strings.

Bliss...especially since there was major puppy bonding...and we found that AVF was not sleeping in the carport that night.

2 comments:

AmyFou said...

It was really nice to hear my guitar-y being played by someone who can play, MH!

Patep said...

we're definitely gonna have to get all of these guitars in one place when I'm there!

I, too, prefer classical guitars - but I guess it's cuz that's all there ever was in the house. acoustics & electrics for me feel all wrong - kinda like when I pick up a violin. my fingers get all cramped & stuff. yuck.

hmmm... maybe I should play my guitar a bit more before coming over so I'll have some vague clue of what I've been talking about here for all this time!

did we ever choose a song to do together?